Lesson 4: Stress, Coping, and Wellness

The lesson that I chose was Lesson 4, Stress, Coping, and Wellness. It is very important to have good coping methods to deal with stress and mental health issues as it is very common for students to feel overwhelmed while in school. Having a lesson dedicated to coming up with different ways to cope with positive and negative stress is such an important lesson to have as some students may be struggling and not even know it. Overall this would be a great lesson for older elementary school students, maybe grade 5 and 6 as it would be a bit confusing for younger students and not enough information for older students as they are exposed to more. There were honestly a lot of great aspects about this lesson and the information it has, as well as the pre lecture and post lecture. The assignment that can be done at home is also a great opportunity for students to get a chance to practice mindfulness meditation at home, in a space they are most comfortable with and really feel it. The lesson identifies the different aspects of stress and how if not handled properly it can lead to drugs and poor decisions. The lesson also gives a scenario of 2 girls talking about their friend Sarah who is dealing with the loss of a close family member and is coping with it poorly by choosing to vape. The friend that suggests trying to talk to her again and maybe seek help from an adult is using a positive coping method by trying to help her friend express the way she is feeling.  The lesson is able to explain the causes and effects of what stress can do to the body and how you can cope with it properly. One way that I might improve the lesson if it were in my classroom would be to simplify it a bit as I want to teach kindergarten through second or third grade students and this lesson might be to complex for them to understand, but I still want them to get an idea of what stress is and how they can deal with it the right way. As I said earlier the lesson is really good but I definitely think it is targeted more at older students who maybe have a little bit more background knowledge on what stress may actually feel like. 

Reference:

(n.d)., Halpern-Felsher REACH Lab., Lesson 4, Stress, Coping, and Wellness https://med.stanford.edu/halpern-felsher-reach-lab/preventions-interventions/Safety-First/safety-first-lesson-4.html